[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - columbus

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

columbus

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by bassbaboon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:59 am

Hey,

Does anyone know anything about the columbus series 1 guitar? Iv looked anywhere and i cant find any information about it...

Can anyone help....!?

Thanks
bassbaboon

by VintAxe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi bassbaboon,

I don't have any information on the Columbus Series I guitars in particular, but this is what Blue Book Publications has to say about the Columbus brand name. sb

Instruments previously built in Japan, then manufacturing switched to Korea during the late 1960s.
The Columbus trademark was the brand name of a UK importer. Although the first models were cheap entry level guitars, subsequent Japanese-built guitars raised up to medium quality copies of American designs. The manufacturer then switched to Korean production (source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Guru´s Guitar Guide).
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jedistar » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:16 am

Series 1 looks like a strat body, ibanez rg style...

This one sold for 28UKP with an amp in January:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Columbus-Series-1 ... dZViewItem

One currently for sale in UK 150 UKP
http://av.uk.freeads.net/Columbus_serie ... 143467.htm

and this guy want 129UKP
http://www.cibola.co.uk/planetguitars/d ... &param=g13

no reviews on harmony central

best I could do...

www.jedistar.com
jedistar

by Crisanto » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi!!

This is my 1st post here and I should beg your pardon as English is not my native language...

I'm looking for information about a Columbus guitar model a friend of mine had in Spain in 1978. It was red coloured, hollow body and this one similar to the type of the Fender Coronado although smaller.

With these facts..., could you help me to find the model of that guitar?? And photos??

Thank you in advance!!

I will wait for your answer.

Best!! :wink:

Crisanto
Maravíllanse las gentes de lo que en este Tratado escribí, y yo me maravillo de lo que en verdad callé
Crisanto

by jedistar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Wlecome to the forum...

Best if you can post a few detailed photos - then I am sure the folks here will be able to help. Instructions are here:

http://www.vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=592
jedistar

by Crisanto » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:07 am

Maravíllanse las gentes de lo que en este Tratado escribí, y yo me maravillo de lo que en verdad callé
Crisanto

by Say No To Vorderman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:00 am

I have a nice Columbus 335? copy...had it for years, can't actually remember where I acquired it..it's a really neat guitar and was even borrowed by a friend when recording an album back in the late 80s.. and it was the first electric my son used when learning

having said that..as I look at the collection with a view to trimming it down I'll probably let it go soon..I never even get it out of the case these days :(

must take some better photos but here it is...

Say No To Vorderman

by Crisanto » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:38 am

Crisanto

by VintAxe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi Crisanto,

I have looked in some of my Columbus literature and all the "335" models I have seen are similar to the pictures posted by SNTV. However, all the published pictures I have seen have a trapeze tailpiece rather than the stop tailpiece on SNTV's guitar.

Here is a typical example of what I see. This picture is from a 1980-81 Bell Musical Instruments catalog. They are a London distributor.

Is this your guitar?

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Say No To Vorderman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:14 pm

VA any idea on the age of mine? I'd assumed 70s but only because I'm fairly sure I acquired it in the late 80s and though it quite old then.

I've seen a few like the one you've pictured from that catalogue, on ebay recently. they seem to be more of a red and black sunburst

i seem to have a knack of getting guitars that are different to the catalogue version...my Ibanez Ric 480 copy has a different tailpiece to the published versions(and a set neck)..but is most definitely original..and the Ibanez forum guys are pretty convinced it's an Ibanez oddity..and there's no sign that my Columbus tailpiece isn't original
Say No To Vorderman

by VintAxe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:03 pm

I've looked through all of my Bell Musical Instruments Ltd. catalogs for the 1970's and there isn't a Columbus 335 copy with a stop tailpiece.

I don't have a complete collection of 70's Bell literature but I do have 1970, 73-74, 74-75, 76, 77-78, 80-81.

Were there other UK distributors that sold Columbus? I associate the Columbus brand with Bell but that is probably just my ignorance.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Crisanto » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 am

Hi VintAxe!!

1st of all..., thanx A LOT for your help!! :wink:

And unfortunately no: that is not 'my' guitar...

The model I'm looking for was SMALLER than the "335" models. Body was smaller (=I think it was more similar to the Fender Coronado body), red cherry coloured, or 'very' red indeed, and probably 'fatter' than the "335" (=I mean with 'higher' body sides...) I remember that some mates usually laughed as the guitar resembled for them a 'toy' guitar...

I think (=although I'm not sure) that head was with the...'all_in_a_line' tuners...

I know it's not a very good description (=and my English is not good enough to do it better) but is all I can remember... :?

Regarding year, I'm talking about an instrument in N.W. Spain in 1979, something which could point to a 1976-78 instrument...

Anyway... thanx a lot for your help!! :wink:

Best, :wink:

Crisanto
Crisanto

by Bassassin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:52 am

SNtoV - I'd say your Columbus (series 2/3?) is late 70s/early 80s, & it'll probably be Korean rather than MIJ. The headstock shape & logos were changed on these later models.

Crisanto - I have a mental picture of the guitar you're describing - did it have a metal headstock logo badge, and chrome, probably single-coil pickups? Ones like that come up on Ebay from time to time, I think they're quite early, possibly late 60s or early 70s - sometimes the name's spelled "Colombus".

There's this one on at the moment, but I don't think it's exactly what you're describing:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Columbus-Guitar-s ... 0255202880

This is a no-brander - was it anything like this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Semi-Acou ... 0282453515

I'm familiar with seeing the Columbus range in Bells catalogues - although I don't know if they were the brand owner/distributor. Columbus was one of the most common brands of "budget" guitar in the UK in the 70s - most music shops seemed to sell them! VA - I take it you don't have any specific Columbus catalogues?

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by Crisanto » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi Bassassin!! :wink:

Thank you very much for your help!!

I think the guitar I'm looking for is NEARLY like the one whose link you have uploaded in second place, i.e.:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Semi-Acou ... 0282453515

BUT... I think neck & head was also red. I don't know why but I think it was smaller...

I will show those photos to several colleagues from those old times. Maybe they can remember the instrument better than me...

Anyway we are in the right way... Thank you very much!! :wink:

Crisanto
Crisanto

by Crisanto » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 am

Crisanto

Next

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts