The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

columbus

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Maixn » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi everyone,
I know this is a pretty old topic now, but Crisanto's description seems to fit a columbus guitar I own quite well, and as it seems quite rare, this info might be of some use to someone out there
I have seen a number of similar looking instruments under the badges of teisco (ep-8T) being the most popular, as well as jedson (along with other, more niche 70s japanese guitar names), due to the fact that these guitars got a different badge depending on the importing company, country of shipping, etc. These tended to have a more gibson-style headstock. However, I have only seen the columbus brand having such an intense, candy-red colour, the more popular colour seemed to be deep, dark 'redburst', or a kinda tobacco-burst. As to the date, I would personally estimate late 60's to early 70's, but as none of the 70's columbus brochures I've seen have this model, I would be leaning towards the late 60's.
The copy I have had acoustic strings on when I bought it, with a pretty high action, and haven't yet bothered to change them due to the fact it plays slide pretty well. The bridge pickup seems slightly misaligned with the strings, that is, the poles aren't directly under them, which perhaps suggests that this was more of an entry-level instrument, although it could of course just be the case with my copy. The pickups give rather good, clean tones, pretty jazzy really, but of course they'll do your country, blues, and garage rock fairly well also. Lastly, the neck is pretty thick and narrow, the trem arm works really well, and everything stays in tune!
Hope that helps anyone out there
Attachments
20140412_024658.jpg
Headstock (unusual strat type)
20140412_024644.jpg
Main body (looks more red in real life)
Maixn

Previous

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts