The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Morris 12 String Electric Acoustic Guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by marlene » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:56 am

We have a Morris 12 string electric acoustic guitar. We believe it was made around 1981 and that it was a prototype for Fenders 12 string? It has a rosewood back and a spruce front. Not sure what the value and uniqueness is? We have searched the internet and have never found anything about it.

Can anyone help?[/b]
marlene

by VintAxe » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:31 am

Hi marlene,

Morris Guitars are the trademark of the Moridira company which has been in business since the late 1960's. Morris guitars were first imported into the US in the early 1970's and most models copied Fender and Gibson designs. I would be very surprised if Fender copied a design from Morris or used a Morris instrument as a prototype. However, Moridira was a OEM supplier to a variety of guitar companies over the years so I guess it is possible there was some collaboration after Fender went to Japan. I'd need to reread my Fender history to see if there is a documented connection between Moridira and Fender.

In the 1970's Morris guitars were produced in Japan and in the 1980's production switched to Korea. I don't think they were very active in the 1990's but began importing higher-end acoustic guitars into the US again in 2001.

If you want to post a picture, I might be able to tell you something more specific to your instrument. Alternatively, you can look through the two Morris catalogs I have posted in the Catalog Section of the site to see if you see an instrument that resembles the one you own. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts