The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

The 1970's Morris

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Notts77 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:41 am

Here is something for your readers to get the juices flowing.

I have what I believe to be a 1970 Morris Mando Mania and I am looking to source as much information as possible
It has a Florentine scroll with twin pickups and the headstock reads "The Morris" and a name plate inside the f-hole reads "Morris Gakki Co. MORRIS Custom".

References are few and far between but Pete Cosey played one in the 70's with Miles Davis and there are a few pictures on Google but that's it! Eastman Custom Guitars have recently re-issued a guitar similar to the Morris and has surpassed all sales expectations so there is an obvious interest in its unusual shaped guitar.

The pickups are odd to say the least as they have 4 pole pieces instead of 6! They are known as "Toaster racks" and after much research they appear to have been made for a bass guitar nameley a Klira 356 "Twen Star" from the late 1960's. This would probably account for the soft jazz tones that influenced Pete Cosey to it.

I am assuming that since there appears to be little information that it would be considered rare.
Attachments
MorrisName.jpg
Name Plate
MorrisHS.jpg
HeadStock
MorrisBody.jpg
The Morris
MorrisCom.jpg
Pickups
Notts77

by VintAxe » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:34 pm

I've never seen one. Thank you for sharing information about this very unique instrument. :shock:
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts