[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Mystery Japanese EB-0 bass copy. Help, please!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Mystery Japanese EB-0 bass copy. Help, please!

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by JohnRedcorn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:13 pm

bass1.jpg
I purchased this used in 1993. I've seen others with similar features and identical hardware over the years (including a "Jadee" EB-2 style bass I picked up a couple of years ago for fun) but never another just like it. Does anyone have any idea as to which factory it may have come from? It's been a burning question I've had for 2 decades. Thanks!

PS sorry for the fuzzy photos. The grain of the body doesn't really come through well unless the screen is tilted a little.
Attachments
bass5.jpg
bass4.jpg
bass3.jpg
bass2.jpg
JohnRedcorn

by JohnRedcorn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Three more shots.
Attachments
bass8.jpg
bass6.jpg
bass7.jpg
JohnRedcorn

by VintAxe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi John and welcome to the Forum.

As you are aware, this is a difficult task since many Japanese companies copied EB-O basses. At first look it has several qualities in common with some Fujigen EB-O's but as you have already observed, not quite a match.

Let's start by figuring out a date. Can you remove the control cover on the back and take a clear photo of the pot codes?

Finding any other marking on the bottom of the bridge, pups etc. would be useful, but I understand if you don't want to do that type of disassembly. Japanese copies of Gibson's are some of the most difficult guitars to research and any information helps.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by JohnRedcorn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Hello and thanks for the response! I'm attaching a couple of photos of the cavity and pots. The inked labeling came through pretty clear. I also popped them out and the only pressed markings I could find on either was a "3" on each casing that appears to denote the #3 solder lug that it's next to. I've had the whole thing apart over the years and have never found any kind of markings on the hardware. When I refretted it about 15 years ago (repair tech and builder) I didn't find anything in the neck pocket either. I can't believe I didn't think of dating the pots though, of course! Thanks again for your help!
Attachments
ebo2.jpg
ebo1.jpg
JohnRedcorn

by VintAxe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Good photos John.

Of course Japanese pot codes are not nearly as well documented as American pots but they do give us a chance. I'll look into the codes over the holiday. If you discover anything before then let us know.

I'm confident we can figure this out :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts