[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kasuga ?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kasuga ?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Larsson1967 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:02 am

Larsson1967

by wietse » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:37 am

wietse

by wietse » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:04 pm

here are some pictures of the guitar larsson sended me, it's a piece of art.

like stamped on the trusrod cover it must be a custom made one off, enjoy it, i guess this one is quite valuable.
wietse

by jedistar » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:14 am

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... +copy/10/1

Same guitar reviewed at HC

Not a lot of info on kasuga out there..

by VintAxe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:28 am

Hi Larsson1967,

When I saw your Kasuga, it reminded me of the carved top Electra guitars of the 70's. I took a look at my Electra catalogs and sure enough, they match. So, it looks like Kasuga was manufacturing these instruments and SLM was importing them under their Electra brand name. Here's a couple of pictures out of the 1977 Electra catalog for comparison:

Although you can't really see the headstock in this photo, the guitars look identical. Here is a picture of the SG version where you can see the neck inlay a bit clearer:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:35 am

I guess the next question for me is who did the carving.

Here is a conversation between Orval (aka Mr. Ibanez) and Jeff Hasselberger at Ibanez that appears on the Vintage Ibanez Forum. For those of you not familiar with these fellas, Orval may have the largest collection of vintage Ibanez guitars in the world and Jeff is probably best known for working with Bob Weir to develop the custom "Cowboy Fancy" guitar (2681) that he played from 1979 to the mid 80's. Their exchange goes like this:

jeff, i have an early strat copy with the hand carved top (eagle motif), i have also seen a dragon carving. in the literature of that era there is a third design, but i can't make it out in the photo. what is that design, and could you tell us a little about that series?
thanks
orval

For Orval-
The third carved strat design was called either "Noveau" or "Art Noveau." It was an abstract design that was based on a still life of a cornucopia. The leaf shapes were predominant and gave it a flowing, art noveau character -- hence the name. There was one part of the carving that reminded me of a pineapple (I was probably tripping at the time), so I used to call it "The Pineapple Strat." I think we had these bodies carved in Taiwan, since we had a hard time finding a source in Japan. If memory serves me, we couldn't get reliable delivery on these, so we abandoned the project after a year or so. They are pretty rare.

Jeff

Given the connection between Kasuga and Ibanez, I'm thinking these Kasuga/Electra bodies were carved in Taiwan as well. Does anyone know for sure?

sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:20 am

One has to wonder what the Matsumoku/Univox connection is with these. I was under the impression that the Electras were made by Matsumoku. At least some of them. I also know that Matsumoku made Univox instruments, including (I believe) the carved "Eagle" model, Go to:

http://www.univox.org/guitars/

...Click on "Eagle" and check out the Eagle carved Strat and Precision bodies...

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Bob K » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:29 am

Wow - what a cool guitar. :shock: Judging from the pic of the Electra that Steve posted, yours looks dead stock. Nice and unmolested :D

Larsson1967, how is the playability? How does that bridge pickup sound?

Interesting where they had to install the pickup selector switch due to the carvings.

Bob
Bob K

by Larsson1967 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:06 am

Firstly thanks to everyone for the replies I have tried for a while to find info on this and on this site i got it instantly so thanks. The playing is great the action is super low. It does however need a bit of work on the pots etc a bit crackly occasionally but it has been commented on by a few pals how good the sustain is . Forgive me but im a bit of an amateur on the technical side of things ( usually just play them). I thought the guitar would need the usual shop clean up . Would be interested in info on that pickup though is a bit strange or is that the amateur again and the rough value for my insurance !!!
Larsson1967

by VintAxe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:33 am

Hey Scott,

Here is a very interesting thread over at the Electra Forum that discusses the relationship between Electra, Matsumoku and Kasuga. sb

VintAxe
Site Admin

by jedistar » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:32 am

More history at:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=94

read down the page a bit
jedistar

by Larsson67 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 am

I'm thinking of selling this anyone interested?
Larsson67

by jdwhealton » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:57 am

Is this one a bolt neck or set neck? Thanks.....jd
jdwhealton

by Larsson67 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:52 pm

I dont think it is bolted on.
Larsson67

by jdwhealton » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm interested. I PM'd you earlier and recieved no response. PM me with your asking price and contact info. Thanks...jd
jdwhealton

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts