[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Roland Cube 20

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Roland Cube 20

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Astrochimp » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:34 pm

I just picked up a 70's Roland Cube 20, one of the old orange ones.
Mod# Cube 20 Ser#088702

Impulse buy, friend had it, I knew Roland was good stuff and it was heavy. And orange.

I need some trouble shooting tips- The reverb doesn't work. It makes noise if you whack the side of the amp. I found a schematic online, but can find no other info on this amp.

Any idea of a price range for these?

David
'57 Supro Belmont, 59 Melody Maker,
Astrochimp

by VintAxe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Hey David.

I checked the Blue Book and they don't mention the orange cover on the early Cube 20, they say the cover is brown. As far as value, they say $125-$175 in Excellent condition and $75-$90 in Good condition.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Astrochimp » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:17 pm

I guess you could call it brown- VERY light orange tone. Almost like a new baseball glove in the 70's.....

EDIT- not mine but identical-
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+ ... /PIGGY+AMP

So far I'm not digging the sound. I understand why the larger Roland Cubes are "jazz" amps- this one makes my Supro Blemont sound like a jazz box. Even the limited distortion sounds like jazz.

FWIW I have been using my Ampeg B-115 Bass amp for guitar lately-

Link to schematic-
http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/ ... cube20.pdf

Link to new reverb tanks-
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

David
Astrochimp

by johnnyb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:15 am

hi david,
im no electrician, but any time ive had a problem with an amp where the reverb isnt working, it has always been one of the wires going to or from the unit. if you whack it and its making "verb" sounds the unit still has its springs in tact . it might be the wire going to the unit. un plug it and make sure there are no breaks or twists and check the connector. corrosion on old amps can also block the signal. hope this helps.
johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:18 am

Sometimes on Fender amps, where you can easily get to the send and return cables, the two get switched. I don't recall whether that results in the symptoms you're experiencing but it's worth swapping the cables as an experiment, either at the amp end or the reberb pan end. Or, as someone else suggested, try replacing the send cable, since the return cable seems to be working OK.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Astrochimp » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Astrochimp

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts