[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Crown "Guitar Amp" from the 1960s?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Crown "Guitar Amp" from the 1960s?

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by fenikner » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:27 pm

Hey everybody:
So, I just picked this thing up. It's a Crown "Guitar Amp", as it says on the faceplate, and it sounds way awesome. It's got a beautiful warm, rich tone, with a nice tremolo and cool metallic spring verb/echo. There are two EL84s, two 12AX7s, and two 6V6s. There's a bypass switch but no ground switch. The panel, from left to right, has three 1/4" inputs, Treble, Bass, Volume, 1/4" jacks for Tremolo and Echo respectively, Speed, Depth, Echo, Power switch, and indicator light.
However, there are no indications as to where or when it came from, outside of some of the caps having some Japanese going on. I'm pretty positive it has nothing to do with Crown power amps. My guess is Japan, 1968, but that's based on pretty much nothing.
Less relevantly but more interestingly, though, I can tell you that Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders lived in Tucson for awhile, and before he moved, he unloaded 50 or so of his apparently countless guitar amps in various states of repair at Chicago Music in downtown Tucson, and this was one of 'em. Chicago's the kind of place that's got piles of stuff everywhere, and if they know you, they'll let you mess with it- as in, take it apart and work on it- before you buy it. So I did just that with this amp, and it's shaped up to be quite a little gem!
But, like I said, what the hell is it?

fenikner

by infiniteguitar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:36 am

Nice amp. I'm always interested in these weird amps, but I'm afraid to buy one because I've heard if it breaks, you can forget about it. Cool guitar too.
infiniteguitar

by cheepaxes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Congrats on the amp. :)

As an out-of-towner I stopped at Chicago music on a couple different business trips and always had a good time.

I have no idea who would have made that amp but really have to question whether it really has both EL84s and 6V6s. I'm no expert but I've never heard of an amp using EL84s or 6V6s as anything other than power tubes and I can't figure out why they would have two different sets of power tubes. And apparently no rectifier tube? Curious...

-Scott
cheepaxes

by fenikner » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Excuse me, that was a typo on my part- 6AV6 tubes.
fenikner

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts