[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Massie St George... it was bound to come up sooner or later!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Massie St George... it was bound to come up sooner or later!

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:59 am

Hey Gang!

Here's one for you... I've got me a nice old St George 1263 'Squire' head, and I'd love to find some more info about the company. The shop from which I bought it had three other Massie constructions (a little 1x6", a 1x12", and I think a 2x10 in addition to my 1263 head), and thats pretty much what peaked my interest... I'd LOVE to find out what else they offered... maybe some history?

I know pretty much what everyone else knows... some basic technical info, some simple history... Ray Massie struck out from Fender to form his own company... the Massie St George amps have no affiliation with the St George japanese imports... blah blah blah...

Anyone have anything else? Maybe a technical manual? Catalog? Anything?!?

I'd also like to find out what, exactly, this RCA insert on the chassis is for, and why two more holes, presumedly for inserts for footswitches, were sealed by the factory.

(The head, by the way, is phenominal... if you ever see a Massie St George head, snatch it up!)

Soooo... whaddya got?!?

<3,
Ambrose.
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 pm

Also... anyone got an original name badge for one of these bad boys? I'm dying to find one!!
Michael Ambrose

by jedistar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:50 am

Wow you picked a rare one - found only snippets..

https://www.bluebookinc.com/Download/Ca ... AMP&id=381

http://store.bluebookinc.com/Download/C ... TRIC&id=95

cached ebay page: (includes photos)

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1960s-St-GE ... 0061495955

This is a Vintage 1960's (maybe 50's) VALIANT Tube Amplifier by the Electronics division of St. George (says so right on the front). From what I have read his small power, TREMOLO amp was made in California... a GREAT HARP or guitar amp. Here's your chance to get a substitute Fender Vibro-champ for next to nothing. Sounds AWESOME... like a small tube amp should.

This amp features: volume control, trem. speed control, trem. depth control, all tube design (New 12AX7, USA 12AV6, SYLVANIA 50C5), 2 inputs, pilot lamp, footswitch jack, 8 inch Jensen Special Design Loudspeaker. The speaker is coded 220 447, so made the 47th week of 1964 (or '54). The amp SOUNDS GREAT. It is about as loud as my silver face champ. Nice clean tone from 0-6 on the volume dial. Past that it starts to RIP!! You get a nice variation of overdrive all the way up to 10.

Some reviews at Harmony Central
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... St.+George

regards
www.jedistar.com
jedistar

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts