[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Thoughts? - 1966 Kent piggyback 6BQ5 tube amp

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Thoughts? - 1966 Kent piggyback 6BQ5 tube amp

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by loomis » Thu May 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Hello. I was hoping for some opinions / info on this amp.

Kent DR-57, 1966. 6V4, a 12AX7, and two 6BQ5's.

The schematic is glued inside the head and cannot be removed. I shoved my camera in there and will have to hand-draw the schematic from the photos.

The aluminum front plate says "made in usa," but the tubes are all Japanese. The OPT was made in Chicago. It has one Becker 12" speaker.

Thought? Wattage? I know Kent was a company imported by Buegeleisen & Jacobson, but that's all I know. Did they build anything here, or was the "made in usa" a lie?

Thanks
loomis

by VintAxe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:18 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by loomis » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:39 pm

loomis

by concrete_charlie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw this amp was the later Supro piggyback amps, like the last tubes amps Valco made. I know towards the late 60s, when Kay/Valco merged or was bought out or whatever, they were using Japanese sourced parts on their guitars, like tremolo assemblies and I've even seen Japanese pickups used on the last stock of Valco guitars. I also know that the Valco made Harmony amps used those tubes, but US versions.
concrete_charlie

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 am

Not to lead you off on a wild goose chase, but a buddy of mine pulled a Goya head from the trash about a year or so ago. Similar setup, similar tubage, also said Made in USA but I couldn't for the life of me figure out by whom...

...but isn't there a Kent/Goya connection via Hagstrom?
Michael Ambrose

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts