[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Univox amplifier model U65Rn with Black face Near perfect

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Univox amplifier model U65Rn with Black face Near perfect

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by IdahoCBGs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:30 am

I have a Univox amp model U65Rn that is in almost unused condition. It has a black faceplate unlike all the other pics of this model I have seen. I am hoping to find out why mine is different and if its rareness makes it more valuable. If not I plan to sell it to someone who intends to use it as an amp. If it is rare or an important peice of Univox history I would prefer to sell it to someone who appreciates it for its uniqueness or its amazing condition. I was told by the previous owner that it was manufactured in 1969 and not after that. I have no idea if this is true information or not, or if it is significant. If you have any information about this amp, its value, a production amount I would love to have it.

IdahoCBGs

by VintAxe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi IdahoCBGs

I don't know much about your amp but I don't think it is from the 60's. The model number first appears in a pricelist I have that was issued December 1974 and effective February 1975. The amp doesn't appear in the 1974 catalog I have so my hunch is that it was a new model introduced in 1975. It is the entry level 15 watt amp in their "A" line models and originally retailed for $133 USD.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by IdahoCBGs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Does the 50 watt listed on the back of the amp have someting to do with the power consumption of the amp and not the output? Any Idea what it is worth today. I gave it a try for a few minutes and I would have to guess it is at least a 30 watt amp but maybe the older amps were more efficient.

IdahoCBGs

by VintAxe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:18 pm

The difference is due to RMS versus Peak Power ratings. In the old days, manufacturers would typically stamp Peak Power on their equipment because it is more impressive to buyers. The power rating in the price list is RMS power which measures continuous power output which is a more realistic measure of the amp's typical output.

Here is an amp similar to yours on eBay with a BIN of $129. Of course yours is in better shape. I'm not sure how the black versus silverface might influence value but at this low price point probably not much since only a univox collector would probably care.

If it were mine I'd put it on craig's list for $250 and see if anyone bites. If it sells you are probably close to it's top dollar value; if it doesn't you can always adjust the price and try again or try to reach a larger market on eBay.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:40 pm

The 50 watts listed on the back of the amp is how much power it draws when operating,not the output wattage. Your amp,first year of production 1971, is listed on the Univox Page site with the following description:

"15 W, 1 15" speaker, reverb and tremolo, 3 inputs and 5 knobs. This lasted until 1976, when it has 17 W, Hammond reverb (apparently a real spring reverb), tremolo, 10 transistors and a 12" speaker. "

Great condition,but really not anything special as far as collectability.
Spud1950

by IdahoCBGs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:05 pm

The speaker in this is 12 inch and labeled Univox Pro-Mag. It has a tensioned spring for the reverb. If you knock on the side of the box like knocking on a door You can hear the spring vibrating inside. The lable on the back shows U65Rn So It sounds like this is a 1976 model then. Is it any more or less valuable than if it was a 71 through 75?
IdahoCBGs

by Spud1950 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't see what difference it would make.I found some others for sale.

$50 for this one.

$150,yours I assume by the pictures.

Sold on eBay for $37.18

Here's a price guide based on what some people actually paid for one. Scroll down to Amps. $50 to $65 in excellent condition.

Sorry if you're disappointed,but it's not worth much. If you could get $150 for it,you should be happy.
Spud1950

by IdahoCBGs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Im not dissapointed at all. I just want to find out about it. I hate to make a real mistake on price, To high or to low is never good. Besides if they were real rare a collector might rather have it than a player. I typically deal in much newer gear so I was just curious for the most part.
IdahoCBGs

by IdahoCBGs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:48 am

It turns out it is a 75 and it blew away the guys at the Guitar Center. I might sell it to the sales manager there for his own use. It is currently for sale and there is quite a bit of interest locally. Hopefully I can sell it soon and get caught up on some bills.
IdahoCBGs

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts