The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kent model 5999 amp: who made these?

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by slotrod65 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:33 pm

I recently picked up a Kent 5999 amp. It is a little three tube wonder with a crackerbox cabinet made from 1/4" plywood and an 8" speaker. The control plate boldly states: Made in USA. That being said, many of the internal components are Japanese incl the tubes, and several of the caps. The speaker is interestingly enough, made in the US. I know that Kent was a NY based importer, and the guitars were made by Gutyatone as well as other Japanese companies. Based on the speaker code, and the Made in USA label, I wonder if the electronics were assembled in japan, and shipped to the US to be assembled with cabs and speakers. This would meet the requirements for the made in USA label.

Vintaxe shows this amp offered in the 1963,64 and 65 Kent catalogs.

It needs work, as it has quite a hum, but it distorts sweetly, and the tremelo works too~

Does anyone have any idea who actually produced these amps for Kent?

slotrod65

by VintAxe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 pm

slotrod65, I think your research is absolutely right on this little amp. In the 1960's, "Made in USA" labels were issued under less stringent requirements than today and these imported Japanese amps walked the edge. This is essentially an amp assembled in Japan that somehow met legal requirements for the for the Made in USA label. I think the electronics were put together in Japan and the enclosures were built in Japan. The electronics were then plugged into the case in the US, however I'm not sure about the origin of the speaker. It's likely the speaker was a US product. This is speculation, but reasonable speculation. Does the speaker have US marks?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by slotrod65 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. Part of my reasoning is that the amplifier electronics appear to be a complete unit to itself, that is enclosed inside a metal box. It is attached to the amp by the clamping action of the pot nuts! If you had unskilled labor assembling the amp, into the cab, and adding a speaker, it would be much cheaper than paying skilled labor to assemble the electronics here in the US. I have searched far and wide, and although I have learned the name of the importer in NY (Buegeleisen & Jacobson), but he amp has no name anywhere: not inside/outside, or on the schematic.
slotrod65

by Sanfords » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 am

I am very appreciated
Sanfords

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts