[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Any idea what amp this is? Solid state rack content.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Any idea what amp this is? Solid state rack content.

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by RTZ » Thu May 03, 2012 2:36 am

I've been curious if anyone knew what amp this may be.
It's from The Presidents of the United States of America and is seen in their video for "Lump". At first glance I though it was a rack unit but it appears to just be missing a box. I'm guessing it came out of a combo amp although I don't know any that would be covered up on the top like that. Meaning most combo amps I've seen when taken out of the cabinet don't have a top cover over the guts. Not to mention it looks like it has vents on the top, either that or velcro hah.

It looks like it could be a Marshall due to the gold face but the knobs look to be solid gold rather then just the cap being gold like on a Marshall. I haven't found one that matches the control lay out either. Two pairs of 3 knobs with what looks to be a couple LEDs between them.

I'm going to attempt to get a better screen grab of it, higher quality.
Last edited by RTZ on Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTZ

by RTZ » Thu May 03, 2012 2:43 pm

As promised here are some better pictures.
I don't think this is a Marshall after all and does in fact appear to have been painted though. A side note, you can clearly see the Kustom was painted as mentioned before.

A few things I picked up on that may help; there's a horizontal line (engraved) running the length of the face plate directly below the knobs.
In the second picture you can make out a rocker switch by his thumb (right hand side) that looks to have been painted over as well. Lastly you can see the knobs are not Marshall style, they look very familiar though, I recall seeing similar silver ones on old stereo equipment.

Am I crazy or do you see letters carved into the gold finish above the left most triplet of knobs?
Looks like V, T, B. Volume/treble/bass?

Here's a link to a photo album with a few extra pictures, nothing that helps much more then what's posted.
[url="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/ThreeStringGuitar/PUSA%20Amp%20ID/"]http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/ThreeStringGuitar/PUSA%20Amp%20ID/[/url]

One last note I always found funny. The second guitarist is plugged directly into a speaker cabinet.:lol:
RTZ

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts