[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Looking for the right amp...any ideas?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Looking for the right amp...any ideas?

Posts related to guitar and bass amplifiers

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Slide McBride » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi y'all

This is my first post, so lets see how we go...

I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul, and I must say I can see what all the fuss is about.
I've been plying for over ten years, during which time I have accumulated half a dozen guitars, but the Las Paul shits on all of 'em no doubt!

I have ok amplification (for practice and jamming the superior tone of the P-90 and bridge humbucker come across even through my little roland microcube), but I'm definitely going to need a beautiful valve amp to complement such a guitar.

I've been looking around, and have found it quite daunting as there are so many options...

The sound I'm going for is late 60's blues/rock, kinda like peter green and such...

I reakon I'd be going for a combo, and I'm interested in new or 2nd hand.
Since Vox are made in china these days, which amp would be the best to get the right sound? and reliabiltiy?
Slide McBride

by Jed » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 am

Venue 30 Verbovibe 1x12 or 2x12 combo.

http://www.ulbricksound.com/Default.asp?p=PT&id=8
Jed

by Slide McBride » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:34 am

I just checked out the Ulbrick site, they do look like some tasty amps.

Cheers, I'll check 'em out...
Slide McBride

by frankpaush » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:41 am

a mid70s 50W Marshall and a cabinet with 4x12 25W Celestion Greenbacks
is a nice pack.
(the thing I run, but with a strat....
here "your" combination: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eZ204P79Y)
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~nam ... D~1699.asp is getting near to it (a really rich re-vintage amp)
frankpaush

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Bluesy-rock?

Go for 15's. Much fatter, much more bottom.

I run a Massie Bandmaster clone through a Bassman 2x15"... I also run through an Ampeg Reverb-o-Rocket II on smaller gigs... to give 'em some balls, I'll sometimes kick in a Tube Screamer or a Fultone OCD... but usually the natural break-up is enough for me.

Frank here's got the right idea as well... I once played the same head, but a 100w model, through a stock Marshall 4x15"... now THAT is what I call a rig. 12"s are good... but 15"s really round out that sound.
Michael Ambrose

by Slide McBride » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:31 pm

cheers fellas, its good to hear whats what...
Slide McBride

by frankpaush » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:11 pm

...like always: a matter of taste, not of bad or good.
I prefer 4x12 or 2x4x12 :D , I am a bandplayer rather than a lonesome soloist, 15" is too fat for my kind of sound, I leave the deep bottom for the bassplayer :) ...the 100 tops are nice if you don't want to crunch to early, if you do better use a knife to kill your neighbours :P faster and more splatter
frankpaush

Return to Vintage Guitar Amplifiers

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts