[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - The Sheik custom electric, luthiers Mike Kelley, John Losch

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

The Sheik custom electric, luthiers Mike Kelley, John Losch

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by markoos » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Backplate:
The Sheik
Mike Kelley, John Losch

Guitar appeared in the July 1979 Guitar Player magazine, in a full-page add for its twin Mighty Mite 1300 Distortion Humbucker pickups

Guitar lived on the west coast back in the mid/late-70's day, and i believe luthiers were from close to there. Never played.

I'm just trying to trace history. Not for sale. I'd appreciate any help i could find.
markoos

by Bassassin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:17 pm

What a stunning instrument!

Have you tried contacting Mighty Mite? It's possible they might have some record of their association with the luthiers that might be helpful.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by markoos » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:31 am

markoos

by markoos » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:39 pm

put up a post on Mighty Mite.com's forum, as well as contacting MM. Nothing yet.... :?
markoos

by auriemma » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:17 pm

I doubt there is a connection between Mike kelly and Michael Kelly guitars since the MK guitar company were named after the owner's two kids... Michael & Kelly.
--- Joe ---
Still strummin' after all these years
auriemma

by markoos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Yup...I have conacted michael kelly guitar co (located ver near me as a matter of fact), and found out that exact info. Plus, they have since been sold from owner that named company.....dead end there. Still looking
markoos

by Juangrande » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:52 am

You meet up with the same folks on the way up that you do on the way down.
Juangrande

by markoos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 am

markoos

by Juangrande » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Rico just told me John Kay of Steppenwolf fame has one, too, which I did not know.
Somewhere in the 40 year clutter of my music room are pics of the Sheik bass before it went to it's new home in Yurp. If I can find them, I'll post them.
Ya got a rare gem, young man.
Juangrande

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 am

Hey Juangrande,

I appreciate your contribution. I'm happy to host any images you find of this guitar or it's relatives. Just send them to steve@vintaxe.com and I'll add them to your post.

First hand knowledge is the best :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Juangrande » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks, Steve--the bass was completed in Lake Tahoe, and I have since moved to North Carolina. (six years ago....) Finding the pics may take a few trips to the attic or the garage, but I know I have them on a disc somewhere.
With a little luck, I'll be back soon with the goods.
Juangrande

by ipnews » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:07 pm

John Losch is my husband. He does not recall Nell doing any inlay on the Sheik. John did not do all the inlay because his work is much more detailed and precise than on this guitar. I may post a pic of a work in progress when I'm not so busy.

John's father, the late Fred S. Losch, was a major investor in the operation, but John did not stick with the group for long.

Elizabeth Laden-Losch
Idaho
ipnews

by markoos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 am

bump
markoos

by markoos » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:43 pm

bump

guitar now for sale, btw
markoos

by markoos » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:56 am

bump....any more info out there on this guitar in vintaxe world? I would love to track down the Sheik bass in Scandanavia :D :D
markoos

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts