[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Teisco ET200 & EP8T Wiring Diagram

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Teisco ET200 & EP8T Wiring Diagram

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mcphoto » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 pm

I searched on google for a diagram the other day and all the hits I got were people looking for one. Opened up a couple of my Teiscos today and - hope this helps someone out!

mcphoto

by VintAxe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post your beautifully rendered schematic mcphoto. Like you say, people need these wiring diagrams frequently.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mcphoto » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey, no prob - feel free to swipe the GIF and make it a sticky or anything - I was trying to remember a detail about the wiring and was amazed that there were hundreds of search returns for "looking", yet I never found one diagram...
mcphoto

by newey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 pm

This is a very interesting wiring scheme- I had no idea Teisco "tulips" were wired this way.

For discussion, I'll refer to "Neck switch" as "NS". "Bridge switch" as "BS", Right ("R") and Left ("L") with reference to the diagram (and not to the switch lever on top of the guitar)

NSR, BSL = Bridge pickup only, neck pickup shorted
NSL, BSR = Neck pickup only, bridge pickup shorted
NSR, BSR = Both pickups shorted (no output)
NSL, BSL = Both pickups in series

While series wiring is fairly common nowadays (made famous by Brian May), I wasn't aware of factory series wiring back in the 1960's.
newey

by wolf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:47 am

Hi folks,
This is my first posting here.
That is a very interesting diagram but it seems if they gave it a little more thought it could have had a fourth wiring option: both pickups in parallel.
Yes, you lose the option to switch the guitar "off", but it seems to me that the parallel tone is a much better tone than "off". :)
wolf

by mcphoto » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:02 pm

All three of my Teiscos are wired like the 1st diagram - 2 tulips and a hollow body, all have the same pups. I'd like to hear a phase swicth on one of 'em, that's an easy mod.

When you're doing a wiring project involving these old chrome-capped pickups, I most heartily recommend wax potting the things. It's simply a massive change in playability at mid to high volume levels. It cuts the squeal almost completely, even with a compressor or gain pedal. I have one potted and one stock tulip; you have to be in constant control of the non-potted guitar, just a nightmarish amount of string muting and volume-rolling.

My potted guitar has a bit less output, but the non-potted one is ridiculously hot so I see the wax as a plus there as well - though that could just be inherent differences in the pickups themselves (though they appear exactly the same build-wise).

My overall take on the pickups though (heresy, I know) is replace them with P90's - you get everything cool about the teisco - the funky style and that sort of woody-yet-gritty sound - but it's like taking a blanket off your speakers - there's a wonderful articulation of the notes with a really unique tone curve (from the 40 year old plywood maybe?) which takes the Tulip from an oddity with a one-trick-pony tone to a really useful and unique instrument you'll reach for often.

Check out the guitar solo tones in this video - there's nothing from Gibson or Fender that sounds quite like this to me. (I used surface mount P90's on this guitar and shimmed the neck a solid 1/4" making it nearly unplayable, so the rhythm/chords lack some sustain - I'm going to route this guitar for HB mount P's and make it a little monster).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MmJEnA7RDk
mcphoto

by Dunder » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:31 am

:P
Big ups for this. It does look simple but I haven't seen the like on the net and it may help (we'll see). Not rocket science but had been beyond me to get this sorted so far.
Dunder

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts